Saturday, August 3, 2013

Kjaer Weis Cream Blush in Abundance and Blossoming

Kjaer Weis is a brand founded by a New York-based Danish-born makeup artist Kristen Kjaer Weis.  According to its website, its products are considered certified organic and does not contain parabens, silicones, petrochemical emulsifiers, synthetic colors or fragrances.  While I am not a natural beauty connoisseur, I do consider the brands product philosophy a nice perk.  But how do the products stand against my very fuzzy, esoteric and unreasonably high standards?

I've purchased a few items from the brand recently through Spirit Beauty Lounge and bought a few eye shadows and cream blushes in the refill format.  These refills are handy and allow me to pop them into my Z Palette.  Also available are beautiful shiny metal cases, but since they are priced high, and since I love my free-form palettes, I've opted not to purchase those.

I kind of don't like the idea of powder to cream cross contamination, but I've put the cream pans far off into the corner.  Is smart.
I've been on a cream blush kick despite my skin's tendency to eat them up.  I've purchased Abundance and Blossoming.

The absence of silicone seems to make the biggest impression on me formula wise.  It's blendability comes from various waxes, butters and botanical oils.  The Kjaer Weis cream blush takes a bit of warming under the fingertips to become a bit malleable and therefore more blendable.  While I generally like the feel of fingertips for applying cream blushes, I think these do better when dabbed on with fingers and then using a dense brush to sheer out and blend.  It doesn't have the easy slip of the new Chanel cream blushes nor of the Addiction cheek sticks.

They feel fantastic on the skin once applied.  All the various emollient ingredients do a nice job keeping a soft dewy finish.  In terms of lasting powers, I found both cream shades to perform about par for me, which is to say, not that long.  Within 3 hours, the colors fade away into just a hint of what was originally applied.  I suspect those of us with drier skins will love the formulation as well as expect a longer lasting time.


I found these colors surprisingly pigmented.  Abundance is described on the Spirit Beauty Lounge website as a modern plummy taupe and Blossoming is described as a natural mauve.

I'm not sure what I was expecting when I chose Abundance, but I thought it would be more plummy.
There is a sparse silvery shimmer in Abundance.  And though the color has some plum tones, it really seems like a brownish taupe.
Blossoming is more easy to love.  It is a very neutral pink.  Unlike the description, it is more pink and not really mauve to my eye and on my skin.
There is no shimmer in Blossoming, it is all lush cream.
Here are some swatches on my new-from-vacation tanned skin.  I think I'm about NC25+ now.
Going to have to admit that Abundance completely befuddles me on how to use it.  Used as a nude blush on the cheeks makes me look a bit yuck.  It's too dark for me to be a good nude blush  and also too ruddy to be a contour color.  Hmm...  Going to need to play around some more but would love your suggestions on how to wear such a weird color.  This color is super pigmented and it's silver shimmer is more visible in the built up swatch and not so much when blended.

Here they are again in indirect natural light.
Blossoming sure is pretty and easy to love.  It does create a lovely pink blush and I love it as a very feminine pop on my cheeks.
I hope these swatches are helpful if you are pondering a Kjaer Weis purchase.

I am working on posting on the three eye shadows I've purchased: Wisdom, Charmed and Pretty Purple in the next few days.  Have you also used Kjaer Weis products?  If so are you motivated by its natural heritage or because of the quality, esthetics and colors?  I am in the latter camp.

I had to shove that kitty aside to take these pictures!

22 comments :

  1. As beautiful and easy to wear as Blossoming looks, there's something about Abundance that really calls to me. I think it reminds me of a cream version of Nars Sin, but a little browner. Definitely a brand I've been meaning to check out for a while and I can't wait to see your review of the shadows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH OH OH! *jumps up and down* I was thinking of it as a replacement for Sin, which I got rid of!! As I look suspiciously around, I wonder if you are in my head.

      Delete
  2. Gah! So pretty! Would Abundance work as an eye shadow?

    I still think Lovely is going to be my first Kjaer Weis blush... but Blossoming will also have to happen at some point. I'm in the latter camp, too, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try as an eyeshadow, but I also suspect it will crease. I had to get rid of RMS cream shadows because they creased a bit more than I can stand!
      Lovely looks very pretty!! :) Please let us know how you like it when you get it.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a v. good formulation sans silicone! Another vote here for Abundance as e/s, but then if it is somewhat creamy, I guess it'll crease. Hmm.. what a dilemma! My first inkling is to use it as contour, but I can see why it can be a bit too ruddy from your natural light picture. Can we layer it with other cream blush to sort of tone it down? Or maybe use it as cream blush, then layer with a brighter powder blush on top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try it on the eye and top it with something powder to hopefully set it and give it some complexity, but yeah, I don't think it will do so well. It seems too emollient as a formula to last and not crease. On the cheeks, I think layering may be the way to go, or just go with the undead look. Why not? Bring back heroine chic.

      Delete
  4. I'm actually loving how Abundance looks, based on those swatches! Seems a bit tricky to use, though, I'll give you that. Maybe you can layer a sheer, brighter/pinkier blush over top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these would make a nice base, so maybe I will try that, too!
      It's a very interesting color! I'm just too uninteresting to figure out how to wear it on my cheeks! XD

      Delete
  5. I love how duochrome Abundance looks! I would repurpose it as eyeshadow, personally, maybe with some lavender patted over the top to bring out that aspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The silver sheen is very pretty. I agree! :) Thanks for your helpful advice.

      Delete
  6. I think I would use Abundance on the eyes! It looks like a great cream shadow for summer :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I think eyes is the general consensus! Thanks, Sara!

      Delete
  7. Blossoming is gorgeous! I have had Wisdom on my wish list for sooooo long!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blossoming is just so pretty. Wearing it today on my not-a-lot-of-makeup day. :)
      I think Wisdom would be really fantastic on you!

      Delete
    2. It's really stunning, and judging by your swatch the perfect choice when you really don't want to wear much makeup. I definitely still plan on getting Wisdom-- it will definitely take on a new level of urgency when I see your swatches!!! <3

      Delete
    3. I hope you are seeing my new post. I put up Wisdom! :)

      Delete
    4. Thanks for posting it so soon!!!!!!!! :)

      Delete
  8. I have blossoming and sun touched (pale apricot) and love both colours. I now wonder about abundance; it looks nice on your skin. I wonder how it compares to desired glow...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,

    What size z palette do you store your kjaer weis blushes in? I wanted to buy a refill in lovely and a foundation and store them in a z palette, but I wasn't sure they would fit in just one palette. Also, does the z palette keep them from drying out? I got samples from spirit beauty lounge and really like them, but not enough to spend almost twice the cost to also get the gorgeous compacts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,
      I store it in the large Z-Palette. So far no issues with drying out! The compacts are gorgeous but so very pricey.
      xoxo

      Delete
  10. I haven't seen many people use the Kjaer Weis refills in the Z palette. I love the idea! Their silver packaging is beautiful, but I'd rather have all my products in one palette and their refills are much more decently priced. Takes up so much less space and works with budget too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love everything in the Z Palettes. It helps me "see" them and not forget to use them! :)

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...